I love these jagged mountains on the missile range This year we found snow and weather conditions not exactly desirable for a triathlon, but it was still worth the trip!! This was one of my most memorable experiences of 2009. Dave, my wonderful, supportive husband made it all possible. We left for Las Cruces NM the Friday before the triathlon. We packed up the kids and headed down South for a 4 hour drive. The missile range is only 20min or so from Las Cruces. We stayed in a nice hotel Suite which had 2 bedrooms with doors and separate baths. We also had a small full kitchen and living room. It was perfect to provide the necessary "good nights sleep" and we cooked a delicious meal of curry and vegetables. We watched "Dan in Real Life", and then took the kids to the heated pool and hot tub. It was fun and relaxing for us and the kids. Then we got the kids up at 5am to drive to the missile range so we could check in at the security gate before the start of the triathlon. Dave took care of the kids so I could get checked in and I happened to get in line with a woman who was competing against me who had twins also. She was from Santa Fe. She looked like a good runner...my weakest part of the race. We chatted and she was pretty friendly. She ended up passing me after about 1/2 mile on the run portion. I caught her on my bike...which is my strength. I ended up taking first place in my age group and 2nd place overall. Dave got all my transitions and the start and finish of the race on video. He was such a great support to me and I love him so much for being willing to make the trip and spend all the extra money. He has since purchased a new road bike to train for a triathlon himself. Dave is in amazing shape and will definately be a top competitor. It was great to bring the kids along and sort of make a little trip out of the whole experience, and I hope to be able to continue to compete in these races. It brings me a lot of fulfillment and happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment